Skip to main content

Have young people lost out because of fear?

On the beach, Colonsay
When I was twelve I had one of the best holidays of my life. It was a school trip, or more accurately an inter-school trip arranged by an unlikely body called the Schools Hebridean Society. For two weeks, I joined a bunch of other boys and various leader types in a camp on a beach on the remote-ish island of Colonsay.

It was absolutely fantastic. First there was the opportunity to experience life in a community that was probably 50 years behind the mainland. Though this wasn't in any sense a religious trip, we attended church each week (once each in the two island churches), because that's what people on the island did. Once a week we attended a caley in the island's hall - Scottish dancing compulsory, but still somehow fun.

As I've discovered on other islands, you couldn't walk down a road without the next passing car stopping and offering you a lift. Most exciting (if terrifying) was getting a lift with the island's doctor. He generally drove his landrover off road, and twice I witnessed him driving with one hand while using a shotgun to take potshots at rabbits with the other. (And they say mobile phones are dangerous.)

It was remarkable. I'm generally not a great fan of the bagpipes, but one evening, as we were sitting on the white sand beach, a bagpipe was heard faintly in the distance - the piper came over the dunes and passed by us: quite magical.

Mist rising as we emerge from the cave
One last example of the experience. We all were expected to bivouac somewhere away from camp in groups of three or four sometime during the fortnight. Some caves had recently been rediscovered on the island (they were known in Victorian times, but had somehow been mislaid), and we'd had a visit to them.

Our team of three decided to bivouac in one of the caves that was reputed to be haunted. (Well, sort of. A Victorian dog had allegedly gone through a small aperture in the back of the cave. It re-emerged yelping about an hour later with its tail singed after an encounter with Old Nick.) I have to confess we went to sleep with the Tilley lamp alight - but it was an experience I wouldn't have missed for anything.

Now, first of all, they probably wouldn't allow 12 year-olds to go off on an all-male camp. They certainly wouldn't let us do the kind of activities we did. And as for three of us camping overnight in a cave... I understand why people are so protective of children, but there are times when a tiny risk could be repaid by a huge adventure.

Comments

  1. Good blog. My childhood was full of adventures that were fairly usual for country kids like me but that are now often the subject of anxious articles in the Sunday supplements. We all had and used guns, bows and arrows (real ones, not the suckered variety), sheath knives etc. We swam and canoed in the river, rode bikes helmetless, chased around the countryside on horseback etc. And that was the 1970s and 80s - not so very long ago, though increasingly it feels like another era.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hurray. Elf and Safety Gone Mad, etc.

    ReplyDelete
  3. 'A huge adventure' that teaches teamwork, encourages initiative plus responsibility = resounding 'yes'! Wonder, though, how much age has to do with it: 12 ok; but once adolescence begins, so does any inherent anarchy/rebellion with most of the young. So I'd guess the dangers themselves increase until/unless experience is gained and responsibility inculcated.
    I feel sorry for today's children. My childhood was positively intrepid by comparison.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I to whent on one of these trip, they were fantastic, I went in 1969 or it might of been 1970. I will never forget it was great, as was getting there from London. I would love to go back one day.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'd certainly love to go to Colonsay again some time. I think it's one of those 'when the kids leave home' things...

    ReplyDelete
  6. austin (saddleworth)22 April 2011 at 22:05

    I was just one of about 7 or 8 young lads from our school that went with schools Hebridean society.
    I went two years running,the first year (1977) i went to North Uist and in the following year i went to Jura.
    We had fantastic times sailing,canoeing,climbing,fishing and just living outdoors for 3 weeks.
    we also attended the annual conference somewhere near st Albans at christmas 1977.
    Fantastic memories.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I was on the Colonsay expedition in 1969 I think, so probably the year after you. The experience was just the same though - awesome, as today's children would say. I also went to North Uist the following year where we had the society's big yellow rowing boat known as the Yellow Submarine because it was built from a wood that doesn't float....!

    Was introduced to the SHS by my geography master at Manchester Grammar School, John Abbott, who is now president of an educational trust.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for your comments. I also went from MGS, Peter, though I can't remember who introduced me to the society.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Pleased to se the SHS being talked about here! I have just written the "full" story of the Society and this is being published in two issues of a magazine called Scottish Islands Explorer (one out now, the next in late August). These articles include several old photos,sketches, etc. You can order the magazine from its website. I, too, went to Colonsay with the Society - three times, and have been back a few times since. It's changed quite a bit over the last decade or so - a flood of new houses, a tarmac airstrip, and many more vistors. Also went to North Uist, Jura, etc with the SHS.

    ReplyDelete
  10. John Abbott came to my prep school to talk about the SHS and I went that summer of 1965 to Morvern. Then from Rossall to Jura in 66 followed by North Uist and finally Harris. I later spent years on Baffin Island and I think the SHS experience had a lot to do with it.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Lovely piece of writing, and great to hear how influenced you were by the SHS. My dad, John Abbott, passed away last month, but what he started with the SHS was never far from his heart. He would have been buoyed to hear your story.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Tom. I'm sorry to hear about your dad - his achievements deserve more acknowledgement.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Why I hate opera

If I'm honest, the title of this post is an exaggeration to make a point. I don't really hate opera. There are a couple of operas - notably Monteverdi's Incoranazione di Poppea and Purcell's Dido & Aeneas - that I quite like. But what I do find truly sickening is the reverence with which opera is treated, as if it were some particularly great art form. Nowhere was this more obvious than in ITV's recent gut-wrenchingly awful series Pop Star to Opera Star , where the likes of Alan Tichmarsh treated the real opera singers as if they were fragile pieces on Antiques Roadshow, and the music as if it were a gift of the gods. In my opinion - and I know not everyone agrees - opera is: Mediocre music Melodramatic plots Amateurishly hammy acting A forced and unpleasant singing style Ridiculously over-supported by public funds I won't even bother to go into any detail on the plots and the acting - this is just self-evident. But the other aspects need some ex

Is 5x3 the same as 3x5?

The Internet has gone mildly bonkers over a child in America who was marked down in a test because when asked to work out 5x3 by repeated addition he/she used 5+5+5 instead of 3+3+3+3+3. Those who support the teacher say that 5x3 means 'five lots of 3' where the complainants say that 'times' is commutative (reversible) so the distinction is meaningless as 5x3 and 3x5 are indistinguishable. It's certainly true that not all mathematical operations are commutative. I think we are all comfortable that 5-3 is not the same as 3-5.  However. This not true of multiplication (of numbers). And so if there is to be any distinction, it has to be in the use of English to interpret the 'x' sign. Unfortunately, even here there is no logical way of coming up with a definitive answer. I suspect most primary school teachers would expands 'times' as 'lots of' as mentioned above. So we get 5 x 3 as '5 lots of 3'. Unfortunately that only wor

Which idiot came up with percentage-based gradient signs

Rant warning: the contents of this post could sound like something produced by UKIP. I wish to make it clear that I do not in any way support or endorse that political party. In fact it gives me the creeps. Once upon a time, the signs for a steep hill on British roads displayed the gradient in a simple, easy-to-understand form. If the hill went up, say, one yard for every three yards forward it said '1 in 3'. Then some bureaucrat came along and decided that it would be a good idea to state the slope as a percentage. So now the sign for (say) a 1 in 10 slope says 10% (I think). That 'I think' is because the percentage-based slope is so unnatural. There are two ways we conventionally measure slopes. Either on X/Y coordiates (as in 1 in 4) or using degrees - say at a 15° angle. We don't measure them in percentages. It's easy to visualize a 1 in 3 slope, or a 30 degree angle. Much less obvious what a 33.333 recurring percent slope is. And what's a 100% slope